It is no news that there has been an inflow of new programming languages since Java was launched. However, Java has managed to still be on top and in high demand to date.
Java developers can create different web and desktop applications that can go on any platform. Since Java is very popular and is in use on different platforms across the world, everyone claims to possess Java as a skill. It is hard to properly identify the right Java developer for your organization.
The following factors are attributes of a good Java developer;
· Firm and Basic programming fundamentals.
· Proper knowledge of J2EE and JVM.
· Coding skills
· Fixing errors and bugs
· Has experience with handling queries.
As an employer, there are important things you should know about Java before hiring;
- It is important to have experience with handling Java frameworks and libraries as well as in-depth knowledge of Java itself.
- Make sure that the developer is up to date with the recent versions of Java like the Java SE 10 platform.
- A university or college degree does not make one a better Java developer. It might help with basics but experience matters the most.
Benefits of Java.
The following are the reasons why Java is popular and preferred;
· Java is not restricted; it matches any platform. It can run on any system with its compiled code.
· Java gives you access to reuse codes built. It is object-oriented.
· It is perfect for new programmers as it is quite easy to learn and write.
· Java is the main language used for the Android system.
· It is easy to predict Java compared to other programming languages.
· Java has a large community of users and support due to its popularity.
Main skills of a Java developer.
- Adequate knowledge of basic data structures.
- Effective Object-oriented programming and design patterns
- Good understanding of the concept of concurrency and multi-threading.
- Grasp of memory management
- Sufficient knowledge of SQL basics.
- Experience in the ecosystem of libraries and frameworks.
- Algorithmic skill
- Ability to Communicate ideas.
- Basic knowledge of Protocols like IP, HTTP, TCP, FTP, UDP, Sockets, RMI, and RCP.
- Experience with Applets and frameworks like Swing, SWT, AWT, or JavaFX.
Necessary Java Certifications.
The official Oracle Java certification hands out certificates to developers on Java skills. The certificate is proof that the developer has the required Java skills. Mainly 2 types of the certificate are handed out;
- Oracle Certified Associate (OCA):
This is for beginners; it is to test their basic understanding of Java and programming. The test covers the language, the framework, and a couple of basic things. It is suitable for junior-level programmers.
- Oracle Certified Professional (OCP):
This certificate is for advanced knowledge of Java Skills. It involves tough calls like concurrency, design patterns, multi-threading, etc. This is mostly for senior Java developers.
How to evaluate Java skills.
Statistics have it that close to 85% of developers lie about having Java skills on their resume. Employers usually conduct online tests to determine the qualified candidates for the job. This test helps to filter the inexperienced ones. Let’s walk through the process of conducting the test;
1. Try setting up your test using a Java skill assessment platform. If you have lots of candidates, you can get help from engineers to help set up. There are different tests platform online that you can make use of.
2. Send out invites to potential candidates to take your test. You can make use of your test platform to send the invite.
3. Score the tests as soon as possible and interview the qualified developers who do well in your test.