The history of programming languages dates back to the 1940s when the first language Plankalkül was created, designed for engineering purposes. PHP is one of the most popular programming languages, created in 1994 and appeared in 1995. PHP is a scripting language standing for “Personal Home Page” used for web development. According to a 2021 survey, PHP is the most used programming language with a market share of over 45 percent. This is why nowadays it is not hard to find developers with PHP knowledge and skills.
What is PHP and what are its advantages?
PHP is a general-purpose scripting language that is widely used for web development and can also be inserted in HTML. One of the advantages is that it is simple for people who haven’t used it before. Some of the main usages of PHP are :
- Web content management systems
- Writing desktop applications
- Web applications
- Server-side scripting
Except for the easy usage mentioned above, PHP also :
- Is free of cost, since it is an open-source
- Is flexible
- Could be used more easily by people who are familiar with C programming, since it is similar.
- Runs on various platforms like Facebook, Tumblr, etc., meaning that there is a bright future ahead of it.
How to find a PHP developer and recognize their skills.
There are some basic questions that recruiters need to ask the developers before hiring them, in order to know if they are the right person for the job and get to know their advantages :
- Do they have education and what is it? If yes – do they have any type of PHP certificate – Udemy certificate, PHP developer certificate, Zend PHP certificate, W3Schools certificate, or any other type of course.
- What is their previous work experience and for how many years they have been working with PHP?
- Do they think they have the right knowledge and preparation for the needed position?
- What is the reason for applying for this particular job
Being a successful PHP developer means that the person should work hard for years, in order to get the right knowledge of things and not get into stressful job situations. Things behind these years are :
- Understanding other programming languages like HTML, JS, CSS will prevent from making mistakes or detecting and correcting them in the web design.
- Having a problem-solving ability and efficient algorithms.
- Critical thinking and thinking outside the box is a must for being this kind of talent because the developer should come up with the best possible solution in critical situations which may occur on a daily basis.
- Learning from mistakes and wanting to upgrade your knowledge in order to adapt to the rapidly growing market.
Another method to recognize how skilled the person who is being interviewed is giving them an online coding test which has to be precisely chosen, taking into account the duration of the test, its difficulty, and if it can be done by the developer in his home, giving the person all the things he needs.
In general, finding a professional PHP developer nowadays is not that hard. There are some steps that need to be taken by the recruiters in order to be sure that they are talking to the right person who could do the work and who the company would like to rely on for further projects.